The Department of Geology was established in 1956, initially as a Service Department in the then Royal Technical College. It moved to its present location in the Physical Sciences Building in Chiromo in 1975. The first Professor and Head of the Department was Prof. I.S. Loupekine who retired in 1986 after over 30 years of service.
Teaching staff has grown from one in 1956 to the current number of (20) which is supported by an equally strong number of technical staff. Student population has also grown from only a handful who were interested in Geology in the early 1960's to a swell of approximately 700 students who take geological courses in one form or another throughout the University.
Departmental Chairmen Timeline
1. Prof. Loupekine I.S. - 1970-1975
2. Prof. Hove, A.R.T. - 1975-1981
3. Mr. Bhatt, N.V. - 1981-1983
4. Prof. Isaak Nyambok - June 1983 to June 1989
5. Prof.S.J. Gaciri - August 1989 - August 1995
6. Prof. Justus Barongo - August 1995 - August 2001
7. Prof. WIslon Ngecu - August 2001 - September 2002
8. Prof. Eliud Mathu - October 2002 - April 2009
9. Prof. Christopher Nayamai - April 2009 - April 2015
10. Dr. Daniel W. Ichang'i - May 2015 - April 2021